ALL PARAHAWKING ACTIVITIES ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
- Available to:
- Anyone (Age and weight restrictions may apply)
All our passengers are special to us but you could be extra special with our new Parahawking VIP Package
The Ultimate Bird Nerd Combo
The Parahawking VIP Package is exactly what is says on the tin. It's everything we do all rolled into one amazing day making you a Parahawking Very Important Person. We start the day with a complimentary tea of coffee over a Meet and Greet with our birds and team. You'll then take part in our Bird of Prey Experience, this is a 2 hour session where you will learn more about the special handling and training techniques. You'll also get to fly our birds in our lake front garden.
After lunch we'll then head up the mountain behind our HQ for your Parahawking Experience. After a short briefing on safety and how to feed the birds in the air, we take to the skies with one of two Egyptian Vultures Kevin and Bob. They will soar with us and lead us to the best thermals then return to land on your arm for a small piece of food, mid flight! This experience provides a unique perpective of birds of prey in their own natural environment, a once in a lifetime experience and only possible in Nepal.
We land right outside the Parahawking HQ. Once inside you will be given a brief presentation on the plight of Vultures across the globe and how The Parahawking Project is contributing to the vulture conservation effort in Nepal. We'll then sit and look at your amazing photos and video of your flight and upload your GPS track log to a special 3D visualisation program so you can relive your flight over and over again, you can see an example here: - http://doarama.com/view/571383
At the end of this amazing day, once you're ready to leave, we'll drop you back to your hotel in Pokhara. Don't forget to tell your friends and travel companions of your new Parahawking VIP status.
So whats included in a Parahawking VIP Package?
- Transport to and from your hotel (in Pokhara)
- Meet and Greet the birds
- Bird of Prey Experience
- Parahawking Experience
- Photos and Movie of your flight
- FREE Parahawking T-Shirt
- FREE GPS Tracklog of the birds flight
- FREE Leather Parahawking Bracelet or Keyring
- FREE Lunch
- Evening meal - Just let us know in advance and we'll prepare a delicious home cooked meal for you.
- Accommodation - As a VIP you'll get a 10% discount on all our Deluxe Lodges.
Bookings will only be accepted via this website. We will not accept bookings via a travel agent.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our birds need to be rewarded for guiding us into the thermals. During the flight the passenger will place small morsels of meat onto his gloved hand, the birds will come and gently land on the hand to take the food, and then gracefully fly away to find the next thermal. A perfect symbiotic relationship.
1. As we approach Spring, the wild Egyptian Vultures and other birds of prey in our flying area start to breed. They can become very territorial so out of respect for the wild birds, we choose to not fly our birds and not disturb them at this time.
2. Typically all birds start to moult in May, ie begin the process of replacing their feathers. This process can take up to 6 months. It's important that to complete a successful moult with good strong healthy feathers, we feed them a higher than normal nutritious diet. You may not notice but our birds are always in perfect feather condition throughout the entire year, this is why.
3. The weather starts to change in May, the regular afternoon pre monsoon storms means we can't fly as often as we would need to maintain the birds fitness. We would not want to force our birds to fly if they are not fit enough so it's best to just stop completely.
4. By the end of September, the birds have finished moulting, the rainy season is almost over and the wild birds are no longer breeding. We can then begin the training process to get our bird fit and ready for the flying season. We normally start slowly, building the birds fitness and stamina, this can take 3-4 weeks before we feel they are ready to fly with the Paragliders for a 20-30 min flight.
Vultures are important in our society, they play a vital role in our ecosystem by cleaning up all of the dead animals that would otherwise be left to rot. Millions of tonnes of animal carcasses are disposed of each year across Asia, which if not cleaned up, would pose a real risk to human health. Asia's vultures are declining faster than the Dodo and could be extinct in the next 5-10 years, unfortunately not enough people know about the problem. Vultures are considered to be quite unsavory creatures because of this, these prehistoric looking birds are difficult to empathize with. We want to change that!
Parahawking provides a unique opportunity to see vultures in a different light, to understand about the importance of them in our society and to learn about their behavior in the wild. The Parahawking Project is our mission to raise more public awareness to the plight of Asia's vultures and in doing so halt the decline and prevent their extinction.
We support vital Vulture conservation projects in Nepal, We donate approx 1000 rupees from every Parahawking flight to Vulture conservations projects. We have recently been appointed Patrons of the Ghochowk Vulture Restaurant project.
For more detailed information go to:
Save Vultures - www.save-vultures.org
Himalayan Raptor Rescue - www.himalayanraptorrescue.org